Step through the gates of the 400 year old Whitgift Almshouses and you will find yourself in a hidden oasis of peace and tranquillity. Located in the heart of Croydon’s town centre, self contained flats clustered around picturesque lawns provide a secure and thriving community.
Accommodation and facilities
- Sheltered accommodation – 24 hour assistance is provided by an on call alarm system and supported by a duty care officer.
- 15 bedsitting or one bedroom rental flats each containing a separate kitchen and bathroom.
- Each flat is unfurnished on arrival and fitted with an alarm call system, fire detection alarm, telephone point and intercom.
- Communal facilities include a common room with a television, comfortable chairs and an open fire.
- A chapel is housed within the grounds where residents enjoy twice weekly services.
- Laundry on site for use by residents at no extra charge.
- The Whitgift Almshouses has a dedicated GP. A hairdresser and chiropractor are also available at additional cost.
Unlike our other homes in Whitgift Care, The Whitgift Almshouses have specific criteria which potential residents must meet in order to live there. They must be over the age of 60, of modest circumstances, communicant members of the Church of England and come from either the parishes of Lambeth or Croydon or the County of Kent. These derive from the wishes of Archbishop John Whitgift and have been in place for over 400 years.